Rufus' Adoption

I was living in the city and had a mouse problem in two different apartments. I put up with it for a long time but I got very fed up with mouse turds everywhere and my food being broken into! I'm not sure there is anything worse than reaching into a bag of chips and discovering a chewed hole at the bottom. Is it worse that I touched the contaminated food or that the mice got to my delicious chips before I did? I can't say.

For weeks, I deliberated whether or not I could take on the responsibility of adopting a cat. It's for life! I had adopted a kitten from a friend a few months prior, found the young cat to be more than I could handle, and returned him back to my friend.

When I finally decided that I was ready and willing to adopt a (grown-up!!) cat, I scoured the city looking for the right guy. I looked for a while and none of the cats I saw felt right.

For reasons beyond my understanding, I had decided that I wanted my cat to be named 'Rufus.'

One day while I was at work, I decided to search ASPCA's website. Lo and behold, they had a cat named RUFUS! His picture was adorable and his brief bio made him sound like precisely what I was looking for. I went in a few days later. I gave him a look and felt him out. I filled out all the papers and left within the hour with Rufus!

How fateful!

If you're considering bringing a cat into your home, please adopt. When you visit a shelter, it's almost as if these cats know you can show them a better life. They are such sweet animals! You save money on shots as well as spaying and neutering as all the cats are given checkups before they are made available for adoption. The adoption fees go into feeding and taking care of other animals. It's a win-win for you, your new pet and those that are still waiting for their new homes.

1 comment:

  1. As formerly homeless cats, we're always happy to read about a shelter cat who is adopted! It sure sounds to us that your adopting Rufus was meant to be.

    ReplyDelete