"Raw Food for Pets?"

I've read in a few places that feeding cats raw food is very beneficial. The San Francisco Chronicle's "Raw Food for Pets?" article debates whether this is actually good for our furry friends. Some pet owners say raw meat is the diet that the ancestors of cats and dogs lived on but some people (vets included) think this is unsafe due to bacteria lurking in the uncooked meat.

I feed Rufus a mixture of dry and wet cat food with the occasional scrap of meat or fish I'm preparing for myself. He eats it up with more enthusiasm than his usual food, taking extra care to smack his little cat lips.

I know there's a risk but I only feed him boneless fresh meat. This way, he won't choke on any bone bits or eat spoiled food. If I'm really concerned, I sear the meat a little bit. The middle stays nice and rare and since it's a solid piece of meat rather than ground meat, bacteria can't get in the center. (This is why eating steaks rare is okay but not so much with a hamburger.) Cats have hardier stomachs than us!

I think we should give them what they get in nature! I highly doubt Rufus' great granddaddy caught things and roasted them over a slow fire!

7 comments:

  1. I know the debate goes on ans we, too are undecided what is best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our cats won't eat raw meat or fish - they just look at it. I think they want us to cook it for them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom sez she knows beans that feed their cats a raw diet...she sez if you feed raw only then you gotta mix in some nutrients to make sure the kitties are getting what they need. We think you feeding Rufus some raw meat occasionally sounds good....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me don't eat raw food either, don't even smells it! Just Friskies biscuits will attract me

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I enjoy a rare piece of lamb and cornish hen every now and then. There is nothing wrong with eating raw as long as mommy make all the necessary preparations and the meat comes from a trusted source. Mommy get my meat from Wholefoods and it's the yummiest bite ever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never tried raw food before. Maybe I will ask my mom to give me a little piece to try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The mom has been lookin into a different diet fer us. She so far likes timberwolf organics. It is a raw meat diet but not the raw meat?? Hmmm we has to try it before we say we likes it!!

    http://www.timberwolforganics.com/Pet-Foods/Serengetii

    ReplyDelete